The Bible is the bestseller of all time. It is the book most read and studied, and
it is the most controversial book on the earth today. Some say that it is the Word of God,
while others question the validity of that claim. There are many reasons for us to believe
that it is the Word of God. We would like to present a few of the key reasons here and
invite you to read with an open mind and make your own conclusion.
Four Criteria for Identifying the Word of God
God created man and wanted to communicate with man, it is reasonable that He would do
so through a book, something unchangeable and understandable to man. Such a book would
have to meet a few requirements. It would have to identify God as its source; its
standard of morality would have to match God's standard of morality, which would have
to exceed the highest moral standards of mankind; it would have to reveal God and His
purpose for creating mankind; and it would have to be widely available. Our first reason
for believing that the Bible is the Word of God is that it satisfies all the above criteria.
Three Books Claim Divine Authorship
There are only three major books that claim divine authorship - the Bible, the Koran,
and the book of Mormon. All other books can be eliminated from consideration immediately.
The Bible Has the Highest Moral Tone
The moral tone of the Bible is clearly higher than that of the other two, matching
God's love and righteousness. Both the Koran and the Book of Mormon allow polygamy.
Only the Bible promotes the idea of one husband to one wife. Not only does the Bible
condemn divorce, but it even condemns lusting after another in the heart as adultery.
In addition, only the Bible teaches that hating others in the heart is like committing
murder (because murder comes out of a heart full of hatred). It teaches not only to not
hate one's enemies, but also to love them. Only the Bible portrays the highest standard
of love, a love completely free of all self-interest, jealousy, and pride. A society that
truly follows the Bible is guaranteed to have love, oneness, peace, and rest.
The Bible Reveals God and His Purpose with Man
The Bible reveals God, who He is, what He intends to do, the origin of man, and God's
purpose in creating man. Neither the Koran nor the Book of Mormon indicate a clear
purpose for man; in these books the relationship between God and man is merely that
of Creator and creature, of Judge and defendant, with the "good" ones being rewarded
in the hereafter. The Bible, however, reveals that God created man as a vessel to contain
Him as life so that man may express Him in His divine attributes and represent Him to
rule over the earth. Thus, it reveals not only God's creation of man but also God's
desire to live in man so that man may live in Him, resulting in an absolute oneness of
God with man. No other book reveals God and His purpose with man.
The Bible Is the Most Available Book
Finally, the Bible is the book most available to man. All or portions have been
translated into approximately two thousand languages. In 1989, 600 million copies were
sent out to a world population of 5.5 billion. The Bible has virtually saturated the
world. This is because it is the book of God's communication to man. People all over the
world now have an opportunity to read it and to know God.
Fulfilled Prophecies Prove the Bible
Our second reason for believing that the Bible is the Word of God is that so far all
of its prophecies have been fulfilled. Teachings, reasonings, ethics, and the like are
subjective and can be easily written by anybody. However, if any book contains hundreds
of predictions of events far in the future whose outcomes were not obviously determinable
at the time they were recorded, and if not one of them fails, that book must be the
Word of God.
The Bible contains prophecies written from 4000 BC to 700 BC concerning Jesus Christ's
person, birth, living, death, resurrection, and second coming in glory. Except for His
second coming, all of them were fulfilled 2,000 years ago.
All of the Bible's prophecies concerning Israel's past and present have been fulfilled.
Such prophecies include the possession of the good land (Palestine), the building of the
temple, the falling away, the destruction of the temple and Jerusalem, the captivity in
Babylon, the rebuilding of the temple and Jerusalem, the destruction of the temple and
Jerusalem again (AD 70), the restoration of the nation (1948), and the return of
Jerusalem (1967). Only the prophecies concerning the end of this age remain to be fulfilled.
There are not enough pages here to enumerate all the prophecies in the Bible which have
been fulfilled. These fulfilled prophecies should prove to anyone, including you, that
the Bible has to be the Word of God, for it is impossible for man to predict the future
with such infallibility.
Consistency Proves the Bible
Our third reason for believing that the Bible is the genuine Word of God is its consistency.
The various books which comprise the Bible were written in a few different languages, by
approximately forty writers with different backgrounds, over a period of sixteen hundred
years. Yet it has a common theme, an introduction, a development, and a conclusion.
Although the Bible was written by so many men, all of them were led by the Spirit of
the one God.
The Power of the Bible
The power of the Bible to change people's lives, thoughts, directions, and behavior
testifies to the validity of the Bible as the Word of God. The fact that many people
have loved the Bible enough to die for it also testifies to its validity. Talking to
a Christian who truly believes the Bible is unlike talking to anyone else - that person
has actually experienced God.
You Must Prove It to Yourself
All of the above reasons may be convincing, but there is only one way to prove to
yourself that the Bible is the Word of God. That is to do what it says and see if
you get the promised results. One verse says, "Whoever calls on the name of the Lord
shall be saved" (Rom. 10:13). If you say, "Lord Jesus, I call on Your name. Save me
from the bondage of sins. Save me from my inability to be good and proper. Save me
from my daily anxieties, fears, and frustrations. Lord Jesus, save me," you will
experience His salvation. Another verse says, "Blessed are the pure in heart, for
they shall see God" (Matt. 5:8). You can test this verse by saying, "Lord Jesus,
purify my heart that I may see God." If you pray with an open heart according to the
words of the Bible, you will be saved and see God in your spirit through Jesus Christ.
Then you will know that the Bible is God's Word to you.
Bible Verses for Your Reading:
2 Timothy 3:16
- All Scripture is God-breathed and profitable for teaching, for conviction, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.
2 Peter 1:21
- For no prophecy was ever borne by the will of man, but men spoke from God while being borne by the Holy Spirit.
- God, having spoken of old in many portions and in many ways to the fathers in the prophets.
- Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
- But I say to you that every one who divorces his wife, except for the cause of fornication, causes her to commit adultery, and whoever marries her who has been divorced commits adultery.
- But I say to you that every one who looks at a woman in order to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
- But I say to you that every one who is angry with his brother shall be liable to the judgment.
- But I say to you, Love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you.
- In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
- And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM.
- And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion... over all the earth.
- And to enlighten all that they may see what the economy of the mystery is, which throughout the ages has been hidden in God, who created all things, In order that now to the rulers and the authorities in the heavenlies the multifarious wisdom of God might be made known through the church, According to the eternal purpose which He made in Christ Jesus our Lord.
2 Corinthians 4:7
- But we have this treasure in earthen vessels that the excellency of the power may be of God and not out of us.
- I have come that they may have life and may have it abundantly.
- Abide in Me and I in you.
- It is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live in faith, the faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
- In that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you. ...If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word, and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make an abode with him.
- So also you, reckon yourselves to be dead to sin, but living to God in Christ Jesus.
1 Corinthians 6:17
- But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit.
- As the living Father has sent Me and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me, he also shall live because of Me.
Prophecies for Further References:
Isaiah 7:14; 53:3; 9:1-2, 6; Micah 5:2; Daniel 9:25-26; Isaiah 53:12; Psalms 16:10;
Malachi 4:5; Genesis 13:14-15, 17; 2 Samuel 7:12-13; 1 Kings 8:19; 9:6-9; Jeremiah 5:15-18;
Matthew 24:2, 32; Daniel 9:27; 12:11.